Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thermopylae


My whole life I've read about the battle between the Persians and the Spartan 300 at Thermopylae. For years I've dreamed of being able to visit the sight of that epic struggle.

I've wondered what it would be like to walk that same ground, to feel the grass underneath my bare feet, knowing once, a long time ago, the grass that grew here was watered by the blood of those who were willing to give everything they had for the sake of their freedom.

These thoughts send chills down my spine. I tremble slightly to think of what it must have been like to watch the very sun become shrouded in darkness as enemy arrows literally filled the sky.

What must it have been like to watch as the nations of the world converged upon you like water rushing from a dam, bent upon the death of you and your family.

What must it have been like to fall underneath the weight of innumerable lances, thrust upon you as you hopelessly strike at the enemies all around you.

What must it have been like to sacrifice everything you had for what you believed in.

My whole life I've heard of the story of Thermopylae and wondered. My whole life I've heard of Thermopylae and dreamed of going there.

Tomorrow, that dream becomes reality...

1 comment: